"Each of us, individually and collectively, are responsible for our thoughts, words,and actions as these are energy which creates reality at any given moment. I want to share my insights into how important it is at this period of time for humanity to mature emotionally, evolve consciously and embrace the divine spark of light and love that exists and can be manifested in each of us." Leslie Beil

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Dear First Lady Obama:



Edible Landscaping

Having lived in a concrete box most of my adult life doesn’t negate the fact that I love gardening and being outdoors.

After discovering some wild raspberry bushes in a local Arlington VA park I approached a park ranger about the possibility of planting more edible landscaping (EL). His response was a terse “Nothing comes into the park and nothing is taken out of the park.”

Needless to say, that was my call to “arms” moment, or more accurately my call to hoe and shovel moment.  After a few cocktails with friends, we came up with the notion of forming a commando gardening club to rectify this miscarriage of justice.  But upon sober contemplation the logistics of carrying out our plot was too formidable so that’s why I’ve come to you.

All kidding aside, there is currently a worldwide food shortage crisis that will only worsen in the coming months and year. Please, can you and your staff work with the USDA and local/state governments to promote the idea of edible landscaping in all parks?

Just as Lady Bird Johnson promoted beautification of the national hwy system, I was hoping you would take up this cause for EL in regional and national parks.  I envision the plants being perennials like all types of berries, grapevines, and fruit trees, including utilizing local varieties that would help to sustain all life, human and animal alike. 

The best part would be that it wouldn’t cost the government a thing as no pesticides would be needed (organic), just let the strongest specimens thrive. And the plants/trees would be donated by the loyal joggers, runners, cyclists, and dog owners of these parks!   

Again, please consider this opportunity.  Otherwise my friends expect me to dress in the donated cammo outfit but it just isn’t me, and besides, I don’t have any shoes to match the outfit.

Respectfully yours,

Leslie Beil                                                                                                                                                           

Written sometime in late 2010 or early 2011       

No comments:

Post a Comment